Growing Up in New Zealand data access guide
The guidelines below outline research using Growing Up in NZ data, who can access the external data sets, how much it costs, how to apply for access and publication with GUiNZ data, and what to do with the data once your research is completed.
- » Research projects using Growing Up in New Zealand data
- » Process for applying for access to the external working datasets
- » Application and reference documents
- » Data Access Workshop Presentations
- » Data dictionaries
- » Questionnaires
- » Application fee
- » Application deadlines (Data Access Committee meeting dates)
- » Access to the Internal Working Data Sets
Research projects using Growing Up in New Zealand data
Process for applying for access to the external working datasets
- Attend a Data Access Workshop. Alternatively, you can review the materials covered in the workshops. To assist future users in navigating our data sets, recordings of our data access workshops are available online. Watch the workshop recordings.
- Complete the Data Access Application Form. Applications will be reviewed by the Growing Up in New Zealand Data Access Committee (DAC) which meets regularly throughout the year. The DAC will endeavour to review applications at the next available meeting, although this will depend on when the application is received and the number of applications to be reviewed. Find dates for scheduled DAC meetings.
- Send the signed form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pay the required application fee.
When the application is received:
- The application will be reviewed before the DAC meeting for completeness and to assess whether the requirements have been met.
- The DAC will formally review the application and make a final decision on the application.
- The Data Access Coordinator will inform applicants of the outcomes of their application.
- Where applications have been approved, the Data Access Coordinator will facilitate the applicant's remote access to the external working datasets.
When the end date of the research application is reached:
At the end date of the research the applicant's login to the University of Auckland remote access facility will expire and the applicant will no longer have access to the external working datasets.
When you are ready to publish:
- Complete the Application to Publish Form.
- Send the signed form along with the draft publication to email@example.com.
- The DAC will review the application to publish (with respect to their review of privacy and confidentiality principles) and make a final decision on the application to publish.
- The Data Access Coordinator will inform applicants of the outcomes of their application to publish within 10 working days of the application being reviewed by the DAC.
Questions regarding data access and applications to use the data are welcomed.
For more information please contact the Data Access Coordinator via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application and reference documents
The External Data Release 3: Reference and Process User Guide provides an overview of the Growing Up in New Zealand study, information about the data sets, anonymisation processes, questionnaires, and data dictionaries and how to apply to access the data. (4.7 MB, PDF)
This application form is to be completed by the Principal Researcher requesting access to the Growing Up in New Zealand External Working Data Set. Where co-researchers are working on the same piece of research, these individuals must countersign the application form. (520.6 kB, PDF)
The Application to Publish Form is used to submit outputs to the Data Access Committee that are intended for publication. Applications to Publish can be submitted at any time and will be responded within 10 working days of the application being reviewed by the DAC. (460.5 kB, PDF)
The Data Access Protocol sets out how the data from Growing Up in New Zealand can be used. All researchers using the data must be familiar with the protocol. (2.2 MB, PDF) (135.7 kB, PDF)
The purpose of the Data Access Committee (DAC) is to facilitate the provision of appropriate access to data collected in the study by approved researchers under the terms and conditions of the Data Access Protocol. As such, external working datasets cannot be used without the prior approval of the DAC. (546.1 kB, PDF) (546.1 kB, PDF)
Data Access Workshop Presentations
There is no fee payable to access to the external working dataset.
Application deadlines (Data Access Committee meeting dates)
Data Access Committee meetings in 2017 will be held on:
- 23 March 2017- please submit your application no later than 10 March to be considered at this meeting
- 24 May 2017- please submit your application no later than 11 May to be considered at this meeting
- 23 August 2017 - please submit your application no later than 10 August to be considered at this meeting
- 23 November 2017 - please submit your application no later than 10 November to be considered at this meeting
Access to the Internal Working Data Sets
The Internal Working Data Sets are data sets that have not been anonymised to the extent that the External Working Data Sets have, and therefore require much greater control and security.
Access to the Internal Working Data Sets requires appointment to the Growing Up in New Zealand research team. Researchers wishing to discuss collaborations and work with the research team should contact
Associate Professor Susan Morton
Growing Up in New Zealand Research Director